喜愛自由、自然、自在。

2010-01-14

Going to the Cloud - with WinMo and GPRS

First of all, my Asus P320 is one of the slowest Windows Mobile on the earth, but still trusty.

I recently try the maybe cheapest mobile data plan - the $78/month unlimited GPRS of CMCC Peoples's stored value card. Since I can get huge discount when recharging a large amount, the monthly expense can be as low as $53.

As I have already been syncing calender and contacts with Google using Exchange Server, and get rid of Outlook, I just let it sync on-the-air periodically. The result is satisfactory.

I also have put most of my documents and notes in Google Docs and Google Notebook. Viewing them thru GPRS is not too slow. It is convenient.

I think GPRS especially with EDGE usable is sufficient for sync of data, viewing simply webpage and reading news thru RSS. I even tried Google Maps in China using China Mobile's stored value card, and proved that the map can be updated just in time on a running bus. You may not have 3G anywhere in the country, but GPRS has good coverage and going very cheap.

I may need to upgrade my WinMo to have bigger screen, faster CPU and more memory.

5 comments:

  1. Happy to hear that you still play with your WM. I had upgraded my M800 to WM6.5. I felt that the performance is better then WM6.1.

    For a 500MHz 128M rom 64M ram 800x480 machine, the overall performance is still just acceptable.

    The IE6 is killer app for WM to fight the iPhone.

    My wife had a HTC Touch2. The 320x240 screen is not good enough for the web-application. the user have to soon in and out all the time.

    Therefore, i will suggest you to seek for some mc like 800x480 screen with 1G Hz CPU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more thing. I will not suggest any of my friend to pick ETen. It is usually cheaper with same or better hardware spec. However, the overall quality is ... I needed to bring my M800 to fix 3 times so far.

    As I know, the ETen had been bought by the ACER.

    The most ACER mc which in the market now is the product of ETen with ACER's logo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. KL: Thanks for you opinion. Actually there are very few WM6.5 models on the market. What model would you suggest?
    I have tested Opera Mini and Opera Mobile. I think Opera Mini 4.2 is very good for a slow machine and slow connection. It is also convenient to use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 講老實 , 我只會 suggest 1GHz + 800X480 disp

    但 市場只有 三四部機有 這樣的 config

    Acer neoTouch , HTC HD2 and TG 01

    三部都有長短

    Acer = Eten <- cheap but bad quality
    HTC Mon 大 Ram最多 超貴
    TG 01 Spec 和 Acer 差唔多 但貴過 Acer

    結論:

    我 建議 "等" , 因 1G Cpu & WM6.5 都新

    廠家要慢慢 upgrade & 出舊貨
    ////////////////////////////////
    還有一後著

    國產 機 , 我見到部 好似 Diamond2 話會出 1G 板 (T5353+ , Taobao 見到的)
    (同樣的 機身 四五 個 Hardware Config)
    阿爺 利害

    ReplyDelete
  5. Opera Mini 我都 試過少少

    但好似 Login 唔到 HSBC

    是否?如是,還得用 IE

    在 WM 多個 Browser 是好事, 好似我上 上海 的 星巴克

    如得 一個 Browser 就唔得了

    因要 keep 一個 login page alive

    轉頁 會 logout

    ReplyDelete